Saturday, August 20, 2011

Strawberry Cobbler

My mom has a mean recipe for fruit cobbler, which was passed down to her from her mother. Like me, my mother has never been much of a baker. We didn't have cakes or cookies often when I was growing up, unless they were purchased from Food Lion. She did make cobblers though, and we had blueberry cobbler, blackberry cobbler, peach cobbler, and apple cobbler. All were delicious. But for some reason, we never had strawberry cobbler.

I got experimental last night and baked up a strawberry cobbler using my mom's easy and delicious cobbler recipe. It was a success! I love strawberry cobbler! Here's what it looked like (sorry I forgot to take the picture BEFORE we ate some of it).


I didn't have self-rising flour, so I added salt and baking powder to all purpose flour and it ended up making the cobbler very salty. I guess the butter was also salted. It still was a success though. I topped the cobbler with vanilla ice cream (a necessity). Here's the easy, old fashioned recipe:

1 cup self-rising flour
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), melted
1 cup of sugar (separated)
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 pint(ish) fresh or frozen strawberries

Preheat the oven to 350.

In a saucepan over a stove, heat the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar over medium heat. Stir regularly. When the strawberries are bubbly and syrupy, add cornstarch and turn heat to low, continuing to stir regularly. 

In a casserole or baking dish, mix up the flour, melted butter, milk, and 3/4 cup sugar. Stir out the lumps. Spread the mixture over the bottom of the pan. Then pour the delicious strawberry stuff on top of the dough mixture and stick it in the oven. I'm not sure how long my cobbler cooked (about an hour I think), but keep an eye on it until it's done. 

Top the servings of warm cobbler with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. Mmm, mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment