Monday, January 2, 2012

A Start to the New Year in Bristol

My long lost best friend has been living in China, and I haven't seen her in a couple years. She came home for the holidays, and so I took the opportunity to visit her in Bristol, Virginia (her hometown) over the long New Year's weekend. Boyfriend went with me, and we stayed in a sweet Econo Lodge (because it was centrally located, not because of its many amenities). We played a lot of board games, drank plenty of beer and champagne, watched Beetlejuice, heard some live music, and enjoyed each other's company. The Econo Lodge was not bad, actually--we got to watch a little cable television in a king size bed, and it was relatively clean and quite cheap.

I love the New Year holiday. It's a practical holiday, meant for reflection. No need to buy presents for anyone. No need to make up a character to deliver goodies to children. No forceful patriotic stuff. Just togetherness and champagne and resolutions for a shiny and bright new year.

In 2012, I will continue striving for constant, if subtle, adventures. I'd like a big vacation in Puerto Rico and many little ones in and around home base. I shall make good use of my tent. I also want to sew a dress for myself, though if that has to wait until next year, it'll be okay.

Maryland Fried Chicken (closed),
Next to the Econo Lodge in Bristol, Virginia
The word of the year will be: wholesome. I hope to make the right choices for promoting a sturdy mind, body, and sense of morals. I hope that I will choose to do the right thing, this year and always.

My general hopes for this year include a change of mood for the political outlook in our country. I know it's on many peoples' minds. I know a lot of us are suffering. Even as a person who tends to be mostly apathetic toward politics, I am saddened by the state of our country, especially after traveling to a healthy and happy Switzerland. I hope that American citizens will finally make a stand for what's right for people here, if it can ever be agreed upon. It seems so clear to me that capitalism is out of control. I feel ready to detach, move to the boonies, and simplify to the barest essentials, like a real crazy hermit. But... I won't make that resolution just yet. Maybe in 2013.

Happy New Year to you. May 2012 be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment